Friday, September 7, 2012

Take Two of These, and Call Me in the Morning

I have a Jack Russell named Booze.  Here he is.


He sure is cute.  He was purchased from a puppy mill.  Needless to say, he's not the smartest pup out there.  A few weeks ago I sat and watched him catch a red wasp and eat the entire thing within a matter of seconds.  The entire time I'm thinking to myself, "What a stupid dog."  A few minutes later I was walking in the area where the wasp homicide had gone down and that's when I realized the dog isn't as dumb as he appears.  Apparently he ate everything except the stinger, because the stinger was now lodged in the bottom of my foot.  I dropped to the floor in pain as my fiance stared at me like I was a crazy person. My dad is allergic to red wasps so any time he gets stung he has to hop in the car and head to the ER for a shot.  I had never been stung by a red wasp that I could remember but was afraid to find out if I was allergic or not, so I tell my fiance to please go grab me a Benadryl.  He looks at me and says where are the Benadryl.  Well, they are in the bin with all the other meds in the bathroom closet.  He goes in search for them and returns to say he can't find any.  So I hobble my crippled (and possibly dying) body into the bathroom, open the bathroom closet, look in the bin with all the meds, and pull out a Benadryl capsule.  As I give him the death stare, I realize I need a better organization system for my medicines.

This is how my "medicine cabinet" use to be organized.



Everything was tossed in a plastic bin and stored on a shelf in my bathroom linen closet.  Although I knew where everything was, there was no system to separate the different items so my fiance couldn't find anything.

Here is the new system.


I purchased a larger container with two large drawers and one smaller drawer.  Each drawer houses a specific category of medication supplies.  The top drawer has one container of allergy medication (so he can find the Benadryl for me when I have my next near-death experience), one container for tummy trouble meds, and another container for my anxiety meds (shocking I know; someone with extreme OCD would get anxious about things out of their control).


The center drawer houses cold and sinus meds (you can never have enough NyQuil) and pain meds.

 
 
The bottom drawer stores all of my vitamins that I never take and all first aid supplies.
 

 
Now, all my medicine supplies are divided and stored in their respective areas for easy access and quick retrieval when needed.  Plus I was able to purge out expired meds, something I apparently had not done since 2004 (I'm so ashamed). 
 
As a side note, I have no children (except for the puppy) in the house.  This is why I can use a plastic container and store it in the floor of a closet.  If you do have children in your house, make sure the container you use can either be locked or is in an area out of their reach.
 
Please let me know of ways in which you have organized your medicine cabinet. And if you live in the Birmingham, Alabama area and could use my help in taming any organizational issue in your home, email me at TheNeatFreakOrganizer@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment