Friday, August 2, 2013

120 Minutes in Heaven

Do you have that one place that is heaven on earth to you?  My fiancé’s is the Augusta National Golf Club.  I graduated from the University of Alabama, so I know plenty of folks who believe Bryant-Denny Stadium is heaven on earth.  There are plenty of places I’ve been to that were awesome:  Amsterdam, Hawaii, Monte Carlo.  But I’ve never really understood this idea of heaven on earth; until July 10, 2013.  The day I stepped foot inside The Container Store in Atlanta.  The sliding doors opened and the air was as pure as angels’ breath.  I stepped on the escalator, and as I slowly ascended, I could hear the faintest sound of a cherub choir.  I took my first step off the escalator and at that very moment I understood what it was like to enter the pearly gates of heaven.  I spent the next little bit wandering aimlessly down the aisles, absorbing all that I could, all of my senses at maximum capacity.  Occasionally I would wipe away a tear of joy that had trickled down my face.  I have never felt pure joy and bliss like I did at that very moment.

Two hours later (yes, I spent two hours inside of a store smaller than your local Bed, Bath, & Beyond) and after spending more money than my monthly mortgage, I was on my way home with a new lease on life and a new project in store: to build the greatest pantry the world has ever seen.

My pantry had always been a bit of a nuisance to me.  Of course it had the basic builder grade fixed shelving and of course I hated it.  In addition, the floor of the pantry was utilized just as much as the shelving, meaning the puppies liked to trap themselves inside and scavenge for treats.  I have tried different ways to organize it.  I had certain shelves designated for certain areas.  I’ll give you three guesses on how well the fiancé stuck to that plan.  Then I went out and bought bins to keep the different categories of products in; again the fiancé found this terribly complicated.  So I blocked it out of my mind.  That is until one day, during hour 22 of Pinterest scanning, I ran across this picture.



It was love at first sight.  I had to have it.  It consumed my thoughts, my dreams, my life.  (I’m not really a drama queen.  However, I am extremely obsessive).

I tracked the picture down to The Container Store website, for their Elfa products.  I remember Elfa from the plastic crates back in the day.  You remember the ones:


Honestly, I didn’t know the company was still around.  Well, they are and they have some fantastic products.  After drooling over their website for days on end, I found the starting point for my new dream pantry: pantry drawer kits.


I was able to live chat with someone off the website and make a few modifications to the set they had online. I needed them to be taller than the set on their website and thankfully the units came in a taller size.  In addition, I added three adjustable shelves above the drawer kit.  I am not much of an internet shopper; I need to touch and feel things before making purchases.  Unfortunately (or fortunately for my checkbook), there is not a Container Store in my area.  The closest one is in Atlanta, 2 hours away.  So, I checked my calendar and found a weekend that I could make the drive.  However, the organizing gods were on my side because the next day at my day job I was told I needed to go to a meeting in Atlanta at the end of the week.   And just to give my faith a little bump, I discovered that a new Container Store had just opened across the street from the office I was going to.  Across the street!!

So, I made it to my meeting in Atlanta a little early so I made a drive by to check out the Container Store.  I couldn’t see in, but I could tell it was GLORIOUS!  I battled through my two hour meeting in the office and literally skipped across the street to The Container Store.  I cannot stress to you how awesome it was.  I have a very severe case of OCD, but even if you only have a slight infliction, you must go check one of these stores out.  Now.  You can finish reading this blog post later.  It won’t hurt my feelings.

So, I checked out the drawer kits I had looked at online and they were fantastic.  So, I made my purchases and with the help of a friendly Container Store employee (everyone I interacted there was awesome, to add) my SUV was filled to the brim.  And I was off to battle rush hour Atlanta traffic.

That night when I got back to my house, I took no time clearing out my pantry and ripping down those god forsaken fixed shelves.  My fiancé was kind enough to patch the massive holes created the next day while I was at work (even though I could tell he thought this entire project was ridiculous) and I spent the evening sanding and building the drawer kits.  I have put together many an organizing product and this was by far the easiest ever (those Swedes are brilliant).  I had the entire kit together in less than an hour and only needed a small rubber mallet.  No screws = Awesomeness. 

The next morning I prepped for painting and then painted the ceiling, walls, and trim of the pantry (this is where friends and family got concerned, but I couldn’t put that gorgeous organizational product in a dingy, dirty, drab pantry).   After literally watching paint dry, it was time for install!  I got the drawer kits in the pantry and the shelving hung (another brilliant product that took no time or effort to install).  Then the real fun began – loading my beautiful new pantry.  I designated each drawer to one category and started filling them up.  I stored pasta and cereals in canisters on the shelf created by the drawer unit, along with a basket for our overflow of bottled water, and the fiancé’s protein shake supplies.  I then used clear turntables by InterDesign on the first shelf to house all canned goods and stored my beloved crock pot on the second shelf along with our stash of sodas.  On the top shelf, I stored a few items that I don’t access very often:  paper products, lunchboxes, and miscellaneous small appliances (like the electric knife.  Who ever uses an electric knife? And why can’t I get rid of mine even though I’ve never used it??).

The last step, of course, was making labels.  Oh how I love labels.  Labels for each drawer.  Labels for the canisters, labels for the baskets.  Labels, labels, labels.  It’s amazing how small pieces of paper with common English words printed on them can make me so full of joy and happiness.

And with that, I present to you, the greatest pantry the world has ever seen.






Please let me know of ways in which you have organized your pantry. And if you live in the Birmingham, Alabama area and could use my help in taming any organizational issue in your home, email me at TheNeatFreakOrganizer@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment